HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Left hanging

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NappyOne
Town Guard

PostSubject: Left hanging   Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Today I am on a business trip. I was supposed to be here to witness acceptance testing on a piece of hardware I am trying to deliver to NASA for a Space Station upgrade. Not 2 minutes after I get to the supplier I find out manufacturing has been hung up and the hardware won’t be delivered to engineering for test until the end of the week. After spending the day with the project engineer, it is starting to look like engineering won’t get the hardware until Tuesday, next week.

TGFV

The NappyOne
Back to top Go down
BrassHawk15
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Left hanging   Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm

wow, thats a major setback, i defiantly would have been upset, does it happen often?
Back to top Go down
NappyOne
Town Guard

PostSubject: Re: Left hanging   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47 am

BrassHawk15 wrote:
wow, thats a major setback, i defiantly would have been upset, does it happen often?

Well, my good wife took it with less equanimity than I did. It happens. When it does I just refer to something Scott Adams, author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, said, "I love deadlines; I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

One thing you learn about a quality controlled environment, the least little hitch yields magnified delays as the quality process kicks in to bring everything to a grinding halt. I did spend a lot of time with the program and test engineers to plot out how to handle test failures so the process does not hold us up needlessly. As the customer, I have some authority to keep things rolling just by being here. I spent a career in engineering, and we have little positive to say about quality. I am sure quality is equally disgruntled with us engineers. Commercial programs have much shorter cycle times for problems.

When somebody else pays for problems, and insists that they, the customer, be in your nickers every step of the way, incentive to meet cost and schedule goes out the window. The net result is hardware the pretty much never fails due to over design. The hardware I have been caring for over the last 10 years of operations should have failed about 15 times by now based on reliability analysis. I have had only one box fail so far.

If you ever have a chance to see Space Station video of the inside, it is remarkable how clean, neat and well kept it is. During testing I was spent some time inside most of those elements now on orbit. Looks just as good on video now as it did in person. Based on what I see and the general performance of all the hardware, the Space Station can probably go on a long time, limited only by the wear and tear of being constantly pummeled by things like paint chips and dust traveling a relative velocities of 20,000 plus miles per hour. Eventually ISS will just be worn away.

The NappyOne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left hanging   

Back to top Go down

Left hanging
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Colossus :: Colossus General :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: