Vindictus' Colosseum
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in


Share | 
 

 Elitism in Videogames

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MapleSyrup
Community Leader
avatar

Posts : 305
Join date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Elitism in Videogames   Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:24 pm

TL;DR - How newbie-friendly should we be, what is "a newbie", and if we do not raise the membership-requirements then what do we do with the people who cannot join the guild due to limited slots? (Note: We have five ally-guilds who also have microphones and participate in cash-prize events.)

Guilds can become elitist or newbie-friendly. The latter is deemed a carebear trait while the elitism-trait is considered to be selfish arrogance. On the positive side: elitism promotes dedication towards skill-development, and newbie-friendliness promotes community bonding. I think that elitism is good for PvP in my definition: "Ignoring people who aren't good at the game."
But without being newbie-friendly there is no social aspect to the community. I define newbie-friendly as "valuing the act of teaching inferior players how to improve."
But I also believe that it is very important to have community bonding even at the highest level of PvP (professional gaming) because it lets teammates rely on the opinions of each other rather than taking the burden of winning on their shoulders alone with the assumption that their teammates will play support.
Since the WCG format for PvP involves 3 people, and there can only be one leader per team, I would prefer if the people who want to be leading in Guild vs. Guild and competitive-scene tournaments took the time to develop their reputation (and therefore synergy with potential teammates) by taking the time to share information on how to PvP.

The conversation arises from the owner of an old computer game, Threshold, messaging me today to continue a conversation from 1-2 years ago:
Muckbeast wrote:
And that is a huge part of my point here. Part of the fun in MUDs and MMOs for experienced players used to be the joy of helping noobs. MUDs had Newbie Academies and Newbie Helper Titles and those were things of pride. Helping newbies was actually considered a form of END GAME CONTENT. Shocking, isn’t it?
Which brings me to the question - What criteria do players need to have before we should help them? Right now I am limiting recruitment to people with experience PvPing with microphone, and then doing my best to help them once they are in the guild. But we have multiple guilds in the alliance and some of them are more newbie-oriented. So who do you think we should help?
Back to top Go down
Furyy
Colossus Officer


Posts : 25
Join date : 2011-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

I agree with your points. I don't see the reasoning behind having to go one way in specific, and why we can't be a guild that promotes highly skilled players, who actually give a fuck about others. :p

Plain and simple-- we should recruit people with skill and treat everyone with respect.
Back to top Go down
TechniqueX
Desu
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 29
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:38 pm

i'll leave the newbie-friendly stuff to you guys and remain an elitest ^^
Back to top Go down
Kryzer
Global Moderator


Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:20 pm

I believe we can be elitist but at the same time newbie-friendly. I know it's contradicting each other. We have a sub-alt guild for casual pvp/pve players. That should be the newb-friendly space. For those who just want to do casual stuff without bootcamps and all that...they should transfer or join the sub-guild or an alliance guild. If they do, however, join an alliance guild, we should still remain in-contact with them to help that person out because, of course, they came to our guild to join in the first place.

Those of us who want to do harcore pvp and pve, should just remain in the main guild. It doesn't mean we can't help out fellow guild members in the sub-guild or alliance guild. In fact, I don't think many of the guild members don't know the alliance guilds. It's not so clear as to who they are in the game and we rarely communicate with them if I'm not mistaken.

I'm willing to help those get started in the right path when joining our guild or even joining the game as a new player. There are tons of people who have potential in pvp and with some guidance, they can be better and represent our guild. That's just my opinion though. Everyone else is welcome to state what they think.

I'm just stating a few points from my point of view. Would be glad to hear feedback from others as well. This is a good, fun guild and I think other players want to be a part of it. Maybe try-outs should be held for the serious pvpers along with the interview. Maybe a few party runs through dungeons with players who want to join for hardcore pve raids would help also. Just as a way to get to know the person and such. Not just interview them and then let them in the guild...If you want the best people to be around in either guilds, then interview them, hold tryouts, invite them to events so they can socialize with other guild personnel, and do some dungeon runs.

Many will apply, but only a few will get in. Or so I think that's what the saying is. Lol..anyways, I'm excited to see what direction this guild will go in with school starting and everyone getting busy.
Back to top Go down
TechniqueX
Desu
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 29
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:55 am

On a more serious note (my earlier comment was serious too :] ) I do think that whomever is trying to join the "hardcore" end of either PvP or PvE should be put on a tryout basis. Yes that does sort of make it somewhat less newb friendly but it also shows those who are actually willing to learn and improve. It also shows who are the more dedicated players that will make our guild last a long time.

Personally I'm not a fan of being in a passive guild that doesn't keep track of members. Heck i'm surprised we don't have constant practice 4v4 teams in PvP on the weekend (not 9 hours because that's a ridiculously long amount of time for anyone whether you're busy or not). But time put in actual clan practice with set teams is essential especially if we want to do serious guild wars, tournaments or competition overall.

It's just what I'm used to from Diablo 2 clans. We would hold actual tryouts and constant practice matches. If someone just isn't performing well then they don't really have a place in the clan. I'm also aware of friendship but that was always kept outside. No offense but tough luck you're not clan material (in this case they can go into the casual sub section). I understand this is a little different since a guild on these MMOs also requires teamwork for PvE (d2 pve sucked) but there does need to be a serious group of us that's willing to practice etc.

TL;DR:
Anyways my point is letting someone into the guild solely on an interview isn't very productive as far as improving our guild skill level. It's basically a hit or miss deal. If they end up being good then good for us but if not then now we just have dead weight.
Back to top Go down
Kryzer
Global Moderator


Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:29 am

I agree with Bry on the points he mentioned. I'm also used to having guild/clan matches and practices so that the team gets better and understands what they are doing. Goes for most games I've played including Counter-Strike, Halo 3, WoW, etc. Same goes for PvE. I know the content isn't AS HARD as WoW but having a team to efficiently take down bosses in a timely manner is also good. It would show the public that we can clear content on a daily basis and are up to date with gear and stuff.

Back to top Go down
TechniqueX
Desu
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 29
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 am

Before I sleep i'd just like to elaborate what i meant on teams and the roster.

Basically a 4v4 clanpk team consisted of a druid, assassin, necromancer, and barbarian. You would have a varying amount of players for each class as a main.

Starters: Kryzer, Technique, Heroic, Shonkz
(note: just names that i knew off the top of my head or saw right in front of me)

Under that we have the 2nd string and so on. 2nd strings or below would gain their right to play in an official if they proved themselves in practice matches or scrims. 2nd string teams are also created to compete inhouse or if we feel that starters aren't required for some matches. You can also mix-match teams obviously to balance it out although it's still better to stay in your own designated teams unless it's just some casual.

It's also very important to establish the starting team so they can begin working together asap and learn how one another plays, synergize, form strats, etc. Even if each individual is good one man doesn't make a team. Now i'm not saying we need to practice DAILY but it is important to put forth that time to actually practice together.
Back to top Go down
iB3AST
Colossus Savage
avatar

Posts : 258
Join date : 2011-08-18
Age : 27
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 am

I would also like to say that elitism is one thing but being "AFK" in guild taking a spot should be condemmed.

Many elite people in guild after getting in guild are seldom on or rarely. Most i see on in guild was like err 20+? Lets say 30+. We have 100 members and only 30 members come on?

In other games that i played, in order to build reputation in game,

First = Quality

Second = Quantity

Third = User - Friendly

Without 3 of those, a guild will fall.

So back to the question of how far shd we be elite, i would say hwo u wnat the guild to be.

You want talks to be about how i pwn that guy, how i did that string of combos, how i am better than u, lets pvp all day

or

You want talks like how was work, dungeons are so hard, lets mino naked, flirty jookes, dirty jokes, quizzes, does guild activities(other than pvping)

Again, if you go one way = wont it be boring? I would say we nid a mixture. Elite and newbs that want to grow to be pros.

Again, BEING ACTIVE IS A PRIORITY.

whats the point of being the best player if you come on ONCE A WEEK. No point having that person in guild.

CHEERS
Back to top Go down
MapleSyrup
Community Leader
avatar

Posts : 305
Join date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Kryzer wrote:
If they do, however, join an alliance guild, we should still remain in-contact with them to help that person out because, of course, they came to our guild to join in the first place.
This can be done through mumble and inter-guild events. However, not all casual players use a mic.

Kryzer wrote:
It's not so clear as to who they are in the game and we rarely communicate with them if I'm not mistaken.
I'll work on this. Potato Farm, NEET, Colosseum, Oceania and Audacity are our allied guilds.

Kryzer wrote:
I'm willing to help those get started in the right path when joining our guild or even joining the game as a new player. There are tons of people who have potential in pvp and with some guidance, they can be better and represent our guild. That's just my opinion though.
I'll write down your name for newbies to contact. It would also be great if you could offer to help distribute NX gifts for when I am offline... 100 Event Points = 1000 NX
I can give you a card in advance. I say this since we discussed it before and there should be more people asking for NX for their Event Points (since Paypal money is harder to withdraw).

Kryzer wrote:
Maybe try-outs should be held for the serious pvpers along with the interview. Maybe a few party runs through dungeons with players who want to join for hardcore pve raids would help also. Just as a way to get to know the person and such. Not just interview them and then let them in the guild...If you want the best people to be around in either guilds, then interview them, hold tryouts, invite them to events so they can socialize with other guild personnel, and do some dungeon runs.
Ok. I see your point and can certainly relate. So for now I will use the requirements to join:

1) Apply on forums
2) Previous experience with voice chat
3) Do a Minotaur Nest run with Syncline, JuGGPRIME, Heroine, Furry, PureCosmos, Iohanna, Assume, WhispernWind, Biyuss, JinYeon, Oathkeeper, Lyssa, oDKo (LilMimi), Shonkz, Kryzer, Genevriere and TechniqueX (and two other party members)!
4) Mumble-interview with Heroic, Lyssa, or MaypleSyrup (Address: Colossus.Mumble.com :: Port 3350)
5) Be online to receive Guild invitation and Welcome <3

Kryzer wrote:
I'm excited to see what direction this guild will go in with school starting and everyone getting busy.
There's more applicants because Dragon Nest is advertising hardcore. I will target towards players who can dedicate 6+ hours per day, or have extensive PvP-backgrounds in voice chat games. Everyone else I will refer to NEET, Colosseum, and Oceania.

TechniqueX wrote:
I do think that whomever is trying to join the "hardcore" end of either PvP or PvE should be put on a tryout basis.
I want to have Syncline, JuGGPRIME, Heroine, Furry, PureCosmos, Iohanna, Assume, WhispernWind, Biyuss, JinYeong, Oathkeeper, Lyssa, oDKo (LilMimi), Shonkz, Kryzer, Genevriere and TechniqueX organizing tryouts for the PvP teams that will be representing the guild. If you are a Trainer then contact me to discuss PvP-tryouts.

If you think your name should be on that list then say so, as it is currently generated off the top of my head.

I also wanted to talk to Ash and Iohanna about livestreaming...


Last edited by MapleSyrup on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shonkz
Atrium Guardian
avatar

Posts : 79
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:50 pm

For pvp applicants, should have like an idea of how the players know their own class and maybe pvp with some guildies to see if they fit well within the guild memmbers like co-op, listening and have their own opinion and if they are good at leading
Back to top Go down
BattleMaiden
Forum Munchie
avatar

Posts : 167
Join date : 2011-02-18
Age : 24
Location : Igloo Land

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Maple, change FlamingBlue to Heroine, FB is my vindy IGN xD. Also it's Jinyeon not Jinyeong.
Back to top Go down
MapleSyrup
Community Leader
avatar

Posts : 305
Join date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Shonkz wrote:
For pvp applicants, should have like an idea of how the players know their own class and maybe pvp with some guildies to see if they fit well within the guild memmbers like co-op, listening and have their own opinion and if they are good at leading
Do you want to help organize these?

I also want regular practices for team vs. team every day, which PvP members need to attend at least 1 or 2 hours per week. The reasoning is that for sports teams (soccer) you need to go to two or more practices a week. Videogames should operate the same way, so I'll be contacting the above people (bolded font) about choosing a time slot for running team vs. team practice for the guild. You need to choose a Lesson 'Theme' for each practice and then scrimmage once everyone has understood what you wanted them to learn that day. Edit: because I want to get a headcount of inactives.


Last edited by MapleSyrup on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shonkz
Atrium Guardian
avatar

Posts : 79
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:51 pm

I can the help organizer, but I am not a good organizer heh. I was in a very good organized guild in WoW and I know how the officers/leaders operate and I can give some suggestions for how the guild operate, but I can not do it because I am a full time student and I might take a job soon, so im probably very busy and cannot organize the stuff sorry Sad
Back to top Go down
Kryzer
Global Moderator


Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Is there a plan to have a waiting period before the new recruits are invited? Maybe a period of evaluation to get to know them and have an officer or guild vote to let the player in? It seems that we have a lot of members already who are on daily so it's not like we are in a rush to add more people to the guild right away especially with limited space. Plus, it would allow us to see if they are a good fit not for just our guild but also for the other alliance guilds.

To just interview them and run dungeons and pvp with them, etc. AND THEN just send an invite is just the same as just having the interview and inviting them. I'm not saying we should implement this new method, but it's just a suggestion to a different direction in recruiting players. Other people in the guild are welcome to input their feedback and ideas or suggestions. I just wanted to throw this idea out cause it's been on my mind today.

The players would still be able to hang around Mumble if they'd like during the evaluation/voting process.

BTW, I'm up for helping organizers with events. I don't have a problem with it. And yeah, I'll also help out with NX when I can Maple. I'll just talk to you when the time is right. I'm kind of busy with school at the moment.
Back to top Go down
TechniqueX
Desu
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 29
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

I can assist kryzer in that. I don't want to volunter as lead since i know i don't have the time to completely dedicate myself to it 100% otherwise i can help as much as possible with organization and members etc.

I think it'll be easier if maybe we had a dedicated section for posting schedules and such? I don't think many people look at the calender let alone browse the forums a lot. If people browsed it more for status updates it'd make the organizing a lot easier since most things will occur on weekends. We can use the week to notify people and let them confirm if they'll be available or not.
Back to top Go down
MapleSyrup
Community Leader
avatar

Posts : 305
Join date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Planning events in advance and making applicants wait for several days after their interviews Smile
I like it!
Back to top Go down
Shonkz
Atrium Guardian
avatar

Posts : 79
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes, have them play with guildies and have the guildies give feedback on the applicants! Thats what my other guild did, I had to go through PVE content and prove myself worthy/friendly/cooperative to the guild and got invited Very Happy. We can do the same for PVPers
Back to top Go down
Iohanna
Town Guard


Posts : 22
Join date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm still stuck in New York under the watchful eye of my mom, so I don't know much about what's going on......

......but I will say this. I am slightly annoyed with the length of our application process. I've noticed some people wait for days after being approved to get in the guild. Not to mention simply being evaluated takes significant time as well.

Notable players must be quickly invited. Like skip-the-trials quick. They work hard to achieve their fame; and our quality of service must be similarly excellent to honor their efforts.

Other players must also be serviced well. Their evaluation must be completed ASAP. If they qualify, they should be accepted ASAP.

These players probably left their original guild to join us. And things get pretty lonely without guild chat. We should not do anything that prolongs that loneliness.


TL ; DR : Quality of service is a priority. Delays and lengthy evaluations do not correlate with 5-star service.

Back to top Go down
TechniqueX
Desu
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-05
Age : 29
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:58 am

Iohanna makes a good point an actual delay in the process of applying isn't appealing at all. I actually experienced it myself after applying and it was quite frustrating. The circumstance were due to the fact it was 1-2 people trying to do all the work and a fairly weak application system. If we can actually organize several people to take care of diff things it'll be handled much better than before instead of just "hey get on the server talk to me and you're in".

The point made about notable players is pretty much a given because someone notable already has proof they're successful and can provide benefit to the guild. They don't really have to go through a process because we're already aware of their skill. Unlike a lot of random applicants where we know nothing of then yes they should go through a process in a timely manner of course but that's what our mumble is for even if they're not added into the guild yet. They can hang out just fine there and get to know everyone.

Just wanted to say again that it might be a good idea to have a section in the forums dedicated to posting about practices and what not. As for the process of how one gets in you can go about that in different ways. With the current way that we suggested the officers/guild leaders or even Starting line for pvp (depending on what they're applying for) can have a vote on the approval of the applicant. I know some people can be a little softer than others when it comes to turning down someone and this way at least more input is taken into account.

Back to top Go down
Yuji
Skilled Mercenary
avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2011-07-22
Age : 24
Location : Unicorn Haven

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 am

Can we make a pve division?
Back to top Go down
Kryzer
Global Moderator


Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:45 am

I agree with Iohanna about quality service. Technique also raises good points.

Quality service is key but also remember, we can't just accept EVERYONE into the guild Look at it right now..it's so full and 1/3 of the people are on. Right now might be understandable due to lack of content and people DO get bored. That's a given, but then what happens to the guild space? It's taken up by those who barely even play anymore. Are we just saving a spot for them for when they come back? I suggest having a section in the forums that people within the guild can post a leave of absence. They can state how long they will be gone for or an estimation and state whether they want to remain in the guild and not get kicked. Now if they go past a certain point where they don't return and don't follow up extending their leave then they will be considered to be kicked. Now, there's exceptions but I'm not going to go into that right now because I can go on forever with that topic.

People will come and go and as a guild, we accept that.

Next, the evaluation period is so long because, as Technique stated, there were only two people running the show. If we did have more staff to conduct interviews and adding people to the guild then it would make things flow easier. This would not be a guild leader or co-leader replacement or substitute. Just a few people to help the main leaders run the guild while they are offline or away. Again, these few people should be considered thoughtfully as there are some who would just invite to the guild recklessly like they're in-game friends or something without the consent of other positioned members, kicking guild members they do not like, messing around with storage or anything of that matter. These would have to be trusted members. This should not be a position that would cause stress. IMO, I don't think there should be any position that causes stress as long as the officials, leaders, and members of the guild cooperate together. Yes, differences arise but it should not be blown up to a ridiculous proportion.

Once the system is flowing well enough, the evaluation period I had in mind only consisted of 2-3 days. Basically, it's like a job. When you're hired they don't give you full benefits right away or privileges to choose holidays off or what days to work etc. You have 30-90 days probation right? Same goes for Colossus or I would hope it would. You have to show you're loyal to the guild and willing to be a team player. Like Technique said, scheduled practices would be a good idea to help see if the new recruits can follow directions and hold their own in pvp. Same goes for pve as running dungeons and being able to communicate on Mumble is also something to look for. Not everyone has mics but they should have speakers or headphones they can use to listen to the people talking to know what's going on both in pvp and pve. (Hand crampiing from typing a lot T_T) Anyways, if the person shows great aptitude in certain areas and meets the criteria, then their evaluation period would be lessened or even sped up to only one day or less.

Edit:: We should state that there will be an evaluation period during interviews. An evaluation period, in my mind, is the person doing something like running dungeons and doing pvp. If we had designated people who would want to do that then they can be the ones to evaluate and report back to the leader/co-leaders. I don't expect someone to be doing nothing and just waiting on Mumble to have someone talk to them or invite them. Maybe if others were trained or given permission to hold interviews also THEN do some runs or pvp then that would be awesome also and make the process much more faster.

E.g:

Interviewer: Hi, welcome to Colossus. I read on the forums that you would like to apply.

Interviewee: Yes, I would like to join your guild.

Interviewer: Ok, awesome. Well, first off, I'm going to ask you a few questions about your gaming background in both pvp/pve.

*Ask questions*
*Responses*

Interviewer: Alright. You seem like someone we would like to include into our guild. Would you mind doing some dungeon runs/ pvp matches *depends on what they are applying for* with some of the guild members? This is also a good way to get to know everyone on Mumble.

Interviewee: Ok sure. That's cool.

*Set up runs or matches with designated guild members if they are and have them evaluate the player's performance* Then report back to the leader/co-leaders*

Interviewer: Glad you could participate in our guild functions. *Tell them if they can join main guild or if they qualify or sub-guild or any alliance guilds* Feel free to stay around on Mumble and talk to the members, etc.

Now that's an example if we do have people on to evaluate and invite.

If we don't, then the interviewer could say:

Interviewer: Sorry, but at this time we do not have anyone available to invite you/evaluate you in our guild, but please feel free to remain on Mumble and socialize with our guild members, etc.

That is pretty much an example. Doesn't HAVE to be like that. I'm just sharing lol.
End Edit::

There are also exceptions as well. Exceptional players of skill in pvp is something we should definitely pick up. For example, a person of ZeroX calibur or GeneralDAN or ComboMasta, etc. Those players would be a great addition to our guild. For pve, it's more gear-based and understanding of the mechanics of the bosses and dungeons. If they don't die a lot and know how to play their class well then great, but that's when evaluation period really takes over cuz you have to do a few runs to see how consistent they are and such.

I think I touched upon the points I wanted to and added what I wanted to say. These are all suggestions and opinions so none of it is concrete. I'm basing all this off previous MMOs and guilds/clans I've been with before.

Btw, I think having good moderators on the forums to help clean up and make directories or sub-sections would help so it would be more organized. Maybe even a guild website like
http://www.shivtr.com/ or something similar. Just throwing it out there for consideration. I hope I don't seem like I'm going over the top and super hardcore cause I don't want to come off that way. I just like being in this guild because of the good people in it and I don't want to see this guild go down or anything because lack of organization, etc.


Last edited by Kryzer on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Crazypuppy
Colossus Member


Posts : 18
Join date : 2011-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 am

Yuji wrote:
Can we make a pve division?

You are in my PvE division Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MapleSyrup
Community Leader
avatar

Posts : 305
Join date : 2011-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Yuji wrote:
Can we make a pve division?
Hero also spoke with me about this and I fully-agree with you Yuji.

Paraphrasing Hero on Mumble:
PvE officers evaluate gear and recruitment for Dark Lair (40-round survival mode with time limit), so when dark lair is getting hyped start recruiting ppl with +10 gears and good minonest runs. Top 10 Dark Lair times get their guilds listed! Target is 2-3 PvP officers and 2-3 PvE officers. Officers get forum-moderation (contact Syncline or Heroic through forums to give them mod status). Syncline's IGN is Cline - the co-leader from Vindictus Smile
Heroic will be more active on the forums. Lyssa and MapleSyrup interview applicants for Colossus
/paraphrasing

So definitely!

Yuji wrote:
MapleSyrup wrote:
Yuji wrote:
If people are having trouble with the pve aspect of the game, we could form a small pve division that will teach them how to pve more effectively + obtain "decent" gears.
Congratulations! You are in charge of teaching people how to get "decent" gears and where to farm. I can supply you with some stacks of crudes or event points.
Ah it's ok Very Happy I don't need anything ^_^ I'm pretty bored lately ... if anyone needs help just direct them at me ^_____^
The humble beginnings Smile
I'll be speaking with other people including: Syncline, JuGGPRIME, Heroine, Furry, PureCosmos, Iohanna, Assume, WhispernWind, Biyuss, JinYeon, Oathkeeper, Lyssa, oDKo (LilMimi), Shonkz, Kryzer, Genevriere and TechniqueX!

Kryzer wrote:
I suggest having a section in the forums that people within the guild can post a leave of absence. They can state how long they will be gone for or an estimation and state whether they want to remain in the guild and not get kicked.
Got it. I'll post here: http://colossus.forum-motion.com/t987-warning-inactives#6664

Kryzer wrote:
Next, the evaluation period is so long because, as Technique stated, there were only two people running the show. If we did have more staff to conduct interviews and adding people to the guild then it would make things flow easier. This would not be a guild leader or co-leader replacement or substitute. Just a few people to help the main leaders run the guild while they are offline or away.
Please!!
Right now another reason is because we are full (100/100 slots) so I have to consider referring people to Dgrayed (Potato Farm - PvP guild), to samoox (NEET - social guild), to **** (Colosseum - PvE guild) and Shardz (Oceania - Australian guild).

Kryzer wrote:
Again, these few people should be considered thoughtfully as there are some who would just invite to the guild recklessly like they're in-game friends or something without the consent of other positioned members, kicking guild members they do not like, messing around with storage or anything of that matter. These would have to be trusted members.
QQ - but I am so trusting to others! Someone make suggestions! The people I have listed (Syncline, JuGGPRIME, Heroine, Furry, PureCosmos, Iohanna, Assume, WhispernWind, Biyuss, JinYeon, Oathkeeper, Lyssa, oDKo (LilMimi), Shonkz, Kryzer, Genevriere and TechniqueX) are the ones whom I would recommend. But perhaps we only need four-ish?

Kryzer wrote:
This should not be a position that would cause stress. IMO, I don't think there should be any position that causes stress as long as the officials, leaders, and members of the guild cooperate together. Yes, differences arise but it should not be blown up to a ridiculous proportion.
Ooh. How should we approach banning members? This tends to always be a controversy.

Kryzer wrote:
You have to show you're loyal to the guild and willing to be a team player. Like Technique said, scheduled practices would be a good idea to help see if the new recruits can follow directions and hold their own in pvp. Same goes for pve as running dungeons and being able to communicate on Mumble is also something to look for.
Good! Good! You share my vision.

Kryzer wrote:
(Hand crampiing from typing a lot
Ha!

Kryzer wrote:
Anyways, if the person shows great aptitude in certain areas and meets the criteria, then their evaluation period would be lessened or even sped up to only one day or less.
Because we want them in our guild (professional Gamers and foreign DN-server veterans... And females).

Kryzer wrote:
Exceptional players of skill in pvp is something we should definitely pick up. For example, a person of ZeroX calibur or GeneralDAN or ComboMasta, etc.
I want them in our guild!

Kryzer wrote:
Btw, I think having good moderators on the forums to help clean up and make directories or sub-sections would help so it would be more organized. Maybe even a guild website like
http://www.shivtr.com/ or something similar. Just throwing it out there for consideration.
I do not know much about websites and am rather attached to these forums because they are so active. So you'd need support from someone who was prepared to set this all up.

Kryzer wrote:
I don't want to see this guild go down or anything because lack of organization, etc.
My first priority is the community, and that's why I am putting $1000 (as of September 2) towards the prize pool. Therefore we do have commitment from our leaders and if that is not enough then I would rather merge than see our members without active leadership.

Crazypuppy wrote:
Yuji wrote:
Can we make a pve division?

You are in my PvE division Very Happy
Ah? Elaborate on this!
Back to top Go down
Yuji
Skilled Mercenary
avatar

Posts : 56
Join date : 2011-07-22
Age : 24
Location : Unicorn Haven

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Another method for assessing pve could be to have 1-2 people watch the applicant solo/duo mino. If they successfully complete it (with minimal deaths/none), it shows that they excel in the pve aspect of the game. That's if you want stronger people with good gears ^^

P.S: With that said, some people can solo mino with +8/10 greens etc . Their application should be taken into account since that's quite impressive ^^

P.S.S: I agree with the list of people you listed, they all seem trust-able ^^
Back to top Go down
Kryzer
Global Moderator


Posts : 158
Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 pm

I wrote my responses and bolded them.

MapleSyrup wrote:


Kryzer wrote:
Next, the evaluation period is so long because, as Technique stated, there were only two people running the show. If we did have more staff to conduct interviews and adding people to the guild then it would make things flow easier. This would not be a guild leader or co-leader replacement or substitute. Just a few people to help the main leaders run the guild while they are offline or away.
Please!!
Right now another reason is because we are full (100/100 slots) so I have to consider referring people to Dgrayed (Potato Farm - PvP guild), to samoox (NEET - social guild), to **** (Colosseum - PvE guild) and Shardz (Oceania - Australian guild).

Ok. That would be great to have our alliance guilds filled up as well. That means more events with more people!

Kryzer wrote:
Again, these few people should be considered thoughtfully as there are some who would just invite to the guild recklessly like they're in-game friends or something without the consent of other positioned members, kicking guild members they do not like, messing around with storage or anything of that matter. These would have to be trusted members.
QQ - but I am so trusting to others! Someone make suggestions! The people I have listed (Syncline, JuGGPRIME, Heroine, Furry, PureCosmos, Iohanna, Assume, WhispernWind, Biyuss, JinYeon, Oathkeeper, Lyssa, oDKo (LilMimi), Shonkz, Kryzer, Genevriere and TechniqueX) are the ones whom I would recommend. But perhaps we only need four-ish?

Four-ish sounds good, but just keep some as back-ups in case the other get real busy. Also, if I'm not mistaken, VETERANS status players in the guild can invite players to the guild. If a few of these listed members can be promoted in guild to invite, then that would work also. But I have some ideas for this though, so I'll talk to you in Mumble about it sometime.

Kryzer wrote:
This should not be a position that would cause stress. IMO, I don't think there should be any position that causes stress as long as the officials, leaders, and members of the guild cooperate together. Yes, differences arise but it should not be blown up to a ridiculous proportion.
Ooh. How should we approach banning members? This tends to always be a controversy.

I don't think we need to ban members. Everyone seems pretty lax and cool-headed in the guild as of now. Everyone gets along from what I can see. Idk if Hero had a set rule(s) for bannable offenses so maybe you'd want to talk to him about that.

Kryzer wrote:
Anyways, if the person shows great aptitude in certain areas and meets the criteria, then their evaluation period would be lessened or even sped up to only one day or less.
Because we want them in our guild (professional Gamers and foreign DN-server veterans... And females).

Yes, more females would be nice. Pro Gamers are always welcome and veterans of other DN versions also.

Kryzer wrote:
Exceptional players of skill in pvp is something we should definitely pick up. For example, a person of ZeroX calibur or GeneralDAN or ComboMasta, etc.
I want them in our guild!

Kryzer wrote:
Btw, I think having good moderators on the forums to help clean up and make directories or sub-sections would help so it would be more organized. Maybe even a guild website like
http://www.shivtr.com/ or something similar. Just throwing it out there for consideration.
I do not know much about websites and am rather attached to these forums because they are so active. So you'd need support from someone who was prepared to set this all up.

I can try to set it up. The website wouldn't replace the forums. It's just a place for news and info to go up like the Guild Video or pictures from events and such. Schedules and times also. Importantly, it helps announcements and important news be seen by everyone. If anyone wants to help me with the HTML and/or CSS then that's great. And also if anyone knows of any good, free guild hosting sites, please let me know and I'll look into it.

Kryzer wrote:
I don't want to see this guild go down or anything because lack of organization, etc.
My first priority is the community, and that's why I am putting $1000 (as of September 2) towards the prize pool. Therefore we do have commitment from our leaders and if that is not enough then I would rather merge than see our members without active leadership.

Yup! Community is key. Also having a stable PvE community helps also. Not everyone does PvP and IMO, not very many females either. So having variety would be good but Hero and them can decide on that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Elitism in Videogames   

Back to top Go down
 
Elitism in Videogames
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Colossus :: Dragon Nest :: Dragon Nest Discussion-
Jump to: